Kiera O’Toole is an independent visual artist and a practice-based PhD researcher in drawing at Loughborough University, UK. O’Toole states “To be human is to make a mark. I am a ‘patheur’; someone who follows their intuitive impulses, and I make drawings that must be felt rather than just cognitively understood. Combining fieldwork, material and philosophical research, I create ephemeral site-specific drawings inside and outside the gallery space. My life’s work examines drawing’s capacity to materialise the non-representational aspects of our world through recording the ’emotional vibrations’ of a site’s atmosphere”.
Recent exhibitions include ARTWORKS 2020, VISUAL Carlow, Carlow Arts Festival, Highlanes Gallery 2020, Drawing Box, Mumbai, India, touring drawing exhibition curated by Arno Kramer tilted ‘Beyond Drawing’ at Ballina Arts Centre, 2020 and Uillinn Arts Centre, Cork 2021. Recent residences include ‘Project Anywhere’ which is a global peer-reviewed exhibition led by the University of Melbourne and Parsons School of Design, NY and ‘Warning’ a site-specific drawing for Art Walk Porty Arts Festival, Edinburgh, funded by Culture Ireland. Upcoming exhibitions and residencies in 2021 include a site-specific drawing in Derry commissioned by CCA Derry and O’Toole was awarded a Leitrim Sculpture Centre’s new ‘Landscape, Ecology & Environmental Research Residency. O’Toole is also collaborating with seven artists including Tommy Weir and Christine Mackey and Ruth le Gear for ‘Walking Kesscorran’. O’Toole publishes including contributing book chapters;‘Drawing from the Non-Place’ published by Cambridge Scholars in 2020 and ‘Project Anywhere Biennial IV,’ 2021 published by University of Melbourne and Parsons School of Art, NY.
- Doctoral ResearchPathic Aesthetics in relation to site-specific drawing, Loughborough University, UK
- Artist Associate,Northwest Drawing Collective, UK
- Book chapter for Anywhere iv, Project Anywhere.A global blind reviewed program dedicated to art and artistic research. https://www.projectanywhere.net
- Residency, Leitrim Sculpture Centre, ‘Landscape, Ecology & Environmental Research
- Residency ‘Walking Kesscorran’, A collaborative exhibition and project.
- DrawingdeCentered, An artist-led collective and platform for exploring contemporary drawing. Exhibition at Exhibition at Uillinn; West Cork Arts Centre.https://www.drawingdecentered.com
- The Drawing Box, Mumbai, India
- Creative Associate. Creative Schools is a flagship initiative of the Creative Ireland Programme 2018-2020 http://www.artscouncil.ie/creative-schools/
PhD Candidate, Creative Arts, Loughborough University, UK
Mobile: +353 89 227 0825
STUDIO 3 THE MODEL SLIGO IRELAND